HIRAM LODGE NO. 25 EL DORADO, CALIFORNIA
6201 Main Street, El Dorado, California, 95623
El Dorado, meaning “The Gilded One”, was first known as Mud Springs from the
boggy quagmire the cattle and horses made of a nearby watering place.
Originally a important camp along the old Carson Emigrant Trail, by 1849 – 50 it
had become the center of a mining district and the crossroads for freight and stage
lines. At the height of the Gold Rush its large gold production supported a
population of several thousand. A Trading post, emigrant stop, and mining camp of
the 1850’s, this became one of the remount stations of the Central Overland Pony
Express. Here at the Nevada House on April 13, 1860, pony rider William (Sam)
Hamilton changed horses while carrying the first west-bound mail of the Pony
Express from St. Joseph, Missouri, to Sacramento, California
Hiram Lodge No.43: Free and Accepted Masons, was chartered in the town of
Mud Springs, as it was then called, on May 16, 1854. The Lodge met in rented
buildings until the completion of this brick edifice in 1862. Through a series of
consolidations with other area lodges, our Lodge is now known as Hiram Lodge
On September 17, 1923 a fire destroyed most of the town, including this building.
The building was rebuilt using the original bricks. Our Lodge met in the I.O.O.F.
Hall (Odd Fellows) in Diamond Springs at no charge until moving back here on
March 26, 1925. In honor of that expression of friendship and brotherly love, our
lodge continues to meet at the Odd Fellows hall once a year.
This building is dedicated to the memory of those early Masons and to 150 years of
Masonry in El Dorado County.
Here you see the Historical marker erected on the Lodge. Erected 2005 by The
Native Sons of the Golden West , Barney Noel, Grand President. In Memory of
James D. Phelan, United States Senator, April 23, 2005.
Here you see our Lodge. We meet on the second floor, up the stairs to the side.
(We credit www.hmdb.org with the compilation of this information and these
pictures. Please visit their site to learn more about historical markers.)